Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vegetable Couscous

This recipe happened by accident. I bought couscous, thinking it would be like Indian couscous and I will use it to make Bengali dishes like aloo posto. But when I tried making aloo posto, it didn't came out like India. So figured, couscous here is different from what we get in India.


But since I already bought a big pack, I had to use it somehow. Looked at it and thought came to my mind that it almost looks like quinoa. So here is what I came up with and it tasted yum with the mushroom cream sauce I served it with.

It is light and fluffy. Do try it and let me know if you like it or not :) Happy Cooking.

Servings: 4 people

Ingredients:

2 Cups couscous
21/2 cups water
1/4 cup carrots - cut in small pieces
1/4 cup green bell pepper - cut in small cubes
1/4 cup onion - thinly sliced
1/4 cup peas - boiled
1/4 cup corn - boiled
slice of lemon
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

Recipe:

1. In a deep sauce pan, add oil. Heat it on medium heat.
2. Once  heated, add onions and saute them until translucent in color.
3. Add rest of the vegetables and salt.
4. Keep stirring and cook them until all the vegetables are 90% done.


5. Add water.
6. As soon as water comes to a boil turn off the heat. Add couscous and mix well so that all the couscous gets separated properly.
7. Cover this and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.


8. After 10-15 minutes, open it and with help of fork move around the couscous so that it gains fluffiness.
9. Sprinkle coriander and lemon over it.


10. Server hot with any gravy you like. I served with mushroom and cream sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment