Saturday, June 7, 2014

Mishti Doi or Sweetened Yogurt

Being married to a Bengali, I thought this must be very easy to make. I will ask few people and they will tell me how to make this. As it turned out, it is not that easy and common to make at home. Since making this traditionally will require lots of time and patience.

But I so badly wanted to make this for my better half and surprise him. So I decided to search, which converted to full-fledged Google hunt, for the easy recipe of home-made recipe. After watching lots of videos, reading quite a lot recipes, I found one recipe which I thought of giving a try. (Sorry, I totally forgot where I got the recipe from :(. I wanted to give the credits to her). Hopefully, I will stumble upon her video/blog again.

Anyways, here is how to make mishti doi easy version at home, with no compromise on taste and consistency of it. Enjoy!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp yogurt

Recipe:

1. Put milk in a saucepan, and keep it over medium heat.
2. Once it starts to heat and almost boiling, start adding sweetened condensed milk, slowly and stirring in the milk at all times.
3. Once both of them are mixed, give the mixture a boil. As soon as it boils, remove it from heat. Let it cool to room temperature.
4. When it is at room temperature, add thoroughly mixed yogurt(it is very necessary to mix yogurt before as it may form lump in milk mixture if not mixed properly) mixture in milk.
5. Take a loose lid bowl, pour the mixture in and put the lid on. Do not use airtight container.
6. Cover the whole container with thick towel and place it inside casserole. Put this casserole inside microwave.
7. It takes around 20-24 hours to set. Do check at around 20 hours.
8. When set, refrigerate for 4-5 hours. Enjoy with anything you like or plain :).

Note: I live in a little colder place that is why I follow steps 5 and 6. If you are lets say in north India, you can skip the step of putting it in a casserole. And it might take less time to set it too. So please keep that in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment